- Checking in on
is a great way to let friends and family know where you are as you vacation, attend an event, try a new restaurant, or visit a famous site.
- When you check in at a specific location, you can also let loved ones know you are safe after traveling or in the wake of a natural disaster, civil unrest, or some other serious situation.
- Whether you are using a computer or checking on via the
on a phone or tablet, the process takes all of a minute or less.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories
So, what is checking in on
Really nothing more than the modern equivalent of scrawling “Your Name was here,” except rather than leaving behind graffiti, you post the information on the
world’s largest social media platform
check in is a post linked to a location, be it as specific as a restaurant, museum, or ballpark, or as general as a town or city. While more often than not people use the Facebook check in simply to let people know what neat places they have been, you can also use the function as a more practical tool, checking in once you arrive somewhere to inform a large group trying to coordinate a meet-up, for example.
And in more extreme cases, a
check in is a good way to quickly inform dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of people of your whereabouts, perhaps reassuring your own network that you are OK after a storm, wildfire, or terrorist attack.
Just remember that it’s likely many people beyond your immediate group of
friends can see your check in, so don’t share your physical location too lightly.
How to check in on Facebook from a computer
While a bit less practical than the check in via mobile, using a laptop or desktop computer to check in on Facebook is nonetheless quite easy.
1. Log in to your FB page and navigate to your feed.
2. At the bottom right corner of the “Create Post” window at the top of the feed, click the three horizontal dots floating in a light gray oval.
3. Click the tab labeled “Check in” with the red map marker icon.
4. Select the desired location from the list that appears, or type in your chosen location.
5. Add any other features you wish, such as a photo, tagged friends, etc. then type in any content you wish and hit the “Share” button at the bottom of the post.
How to check in on Facebook via the Facebook app
The Facebook app makes checking in amazingly easy. Just open it up and you’ll see how.
1. Launch the Facebook app, then tap the words “Check in” at the top right of the screen.
2. Choose your location from the list that appears or type in your desired spot.
3. Add commentary, tags, photos, and so on, then hit “Share” in the top right corner.
Related coverage from
How To Do Everything: Tech
How to block and unblock someone on Facebook
How to hide your Friends list on Facebook, from everyone or only certain people
How to appear offline on Facebook everywhere you have an ‘active status’
How to change your name on Facebook
Tech How To
Chuyên mục: Kiến thức